1. a woman who has authority, control, or power, especially the female head of a household, institution, or other establishment.
2. a woman employing, or in authority over, servants or attendants.
3. a female owner of an animal, or formerly, a slave.
4. a woman who has the power of controlling or disposing of something at her own pleasure: mistress of a great fortune.
5. (sometimes initial capital letter) something regarded as feminine that has control or supremacy: Great Britain, the mistress of the seas.
6. a woman who is skilled in something, as an occupation or art.
7. a woman who has a continuing, extramarital sexual relationship with one man, especially a man who, in return for an exclusive and continuing liaison, provides her with financial support.
One ME, many you, NO sex, but lots of $$$$.
Came across THIS and the mention of Courtly Love.
From the Wiki page: “a love at once illicit and morally elevating, passionate and disciplined, humiliating and exalting, human and transcendent“.
Hmmm……. things for you to ponder….